We interact with kindness, non-judgment and heart.
- We cultivate compassion, and believe in showing kindness to all without judgment.
- We usher our volunteers through this emotional work and model self-care & kindness.
- We do our part to recognize and meet the needs of a laboring mother, ultimately trusting her journey and holding her desires without pushing our agenda.
- We hold space for mothers and each other to process intense experiences and to foster growth.
- We are dedicated members of the community who have an interest in volunteering our time to support mothers during childbirth. We are mothers, students, professionals, friends, and warm-hearted souls who have committed to the GALS mission.
We provide practical, accessible, & nurturing care.
- We believe that no one should have to birth alone and we provide comfort and companionship to any birthing person that requests support, including physical, emotional and informational support during prenatal, birth and postpartum periods.
- Our support is continuous, trustworthy, and mindful of the birthing woman’s needs
- We are accessible to all birthing people, breaking through barriers that prevent women from obtaining the support they need.
- We are dependable and accessible to the community and to each other.
- We strive to be a positive change-maker in the healthcare community for low-income women.
We champion others in their own power & choice.
- We believe that all birthing women are capable mothers
- We aim to decrease poor maternal and child outcomes by holding space for families, providing informational support, and expanding choice so that they can make informed and educated decisions about their health. This increases a woman’s confidence in speaking up for herself and her needs during labor.
- Research shows that parents who receive doula support feel more secure, have greater self confidence, lower incidence of abuse and postpartum depression, and have greater success with breastfeeding.
- Studies have shown that when a woman feels supported during childbirth, she feels empowered and is more confident in her abilities to parent. That is called “mothering the mother” and it is what we do.
- We foster courage and strength in our volunteers as they make sacrifices to support families.
- We trust our volunteers to hold themselves as GALS to the highest standards, following our SOP, and seeking help when needed.
- We provide volunteers with high quality, ongoing training and opportunities for career advancement.
We believe in the inherent dignity of every person.
- Birthing people have a right to humane treatment and respect in birth.
- We meet clients where they are, honoring their choice of where and how to birth.
- GALS volunteers are aware of their role in the birthing room and adhere to a Scope of Practice.
- We care about those we serve as individuals, and value differences.
- No matter the circumstance, we honor and value every person we work with.
We know we are stronger together.
- We make connections with hospital staff, nurses, clinics and other support services and connect families to community resources as needed.
- We strive to be a trusted and integral part of the birth team
- We believe healthy families create strong communities.
- Through receiving support during their childbirth experience, women will have an increased belief and trust in themselves and their innate ability to mother, and that will change the culture of the community and create an infinite impact on the families of tomorrow.
- We support and collaborate with the doula community by training newer doulas and providing them new experiences, connecting volunteers with prenatal and postpartum clients through partnerships and collaborations.